Back to the Blog
Whilst many visitors love to visit the magnificent Roman city of Lincoln with its castle and cathedral it is easy to overlook what is on our doorstep! Welbourn is possibly the most attractive of the yellow limestone 'Cliff Villages'. It has the advantage of being set back off the main road, having an excellent village shop and post office that is open from 7.30 am to 8 pm, and one of the best pubs in the area, the Joiners Arms. Just a short walk down the hill on our quiet lane.
In the 17th century disaster struck the village of Welbourn. In October 1666 the village was all but destroyed:
\"On the 13th there was the strongest whirlwind or earthquake, or both, in Lincolnshire that was ever heard of. In the town of Welbourn near to Newark of 80 stone houses only three were left standing
In the 12th century a motte and bailey castle was built on the northern edge of the village. The mounds and moat of the castle survive today as Castle Hill, a large open public area to enjoy a picnic. This is all just a short walk down the hill from Hilltop Farm.
Welbourn's Sir William Robertson had an illustrious and unusual career. He was born at the old post office and tailor's shop, kept by his father. The house is still there and marked by a plaque. Sir William Robertson left the village school in 1872 at the age of 12. He enlisted as a trooper in 1877 and eventually rose to the rank of Field Marshal and Chief of the Imperial General Staff; the first ranker ever to do so.
Published by Charles Overton at August 16, 2020, 1:06 pm